08 March 2018

Kick Assy Birthday - Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps sneak peek, shaker card


Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Today we are kickin' off our March Krafty Peeks

at Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps!

We have a theme for this month's stamp sets and it's a category that every stamper must have in their stash!
We're celebrating BIRTHDAYS!

Today we have a totally SASSY new set
by artist Melissa Baker-Nguyen!!
It's called KICK ASSY BIRTHDAY!!!

This totally awesome set comes with a bunch of sassy larger sentiments that work for boys, girls, men or women! There is also a selection of birthday themed images including balloons, stars, cake, candles and ice cream! Just wait 'til you see all the totally different creations today!
Check out this versatile birthday set in action as you hop around the Krafty blogs today! You'll see the list of Krafty design team members and Krafty Guests below and be sure to leave some love at each stop because one lucky commenter is going to WIN a gift voucher to the krafty shop! Plus we're doing a GIVEAWAY of the ENTIRE release on the Krafty Friends facebook page! The winners will be announced at the party so don't miss it!
You'll get to see all the incredible creations for March as the Kraftin' Kimme design team shares them each day this week! Be sure to join us at the LIVE Online Release Party on Saturday afternoon at 1pm EST! We'll be checking out ALL three new clear stamp sets, sharing fabulous creations, giving away prizes and having tons of krafty fun!



This is one of the releases where Kim lets a few of her customers participate as a guest design team member with the Surprise Kit that includes a stamp set for the new release. Oh what a wonderful surprise kit, too. In addition to the fun stamp set, there were patterned papers, sequins, and other embellishments. I only used the sequins on my project that I combined with die cuts to make a shaker card.



Join me in the Kraftin' Kimmie blog hop to see all the other wonderful kreations by the design team and guests. Be sure to leave a comment on each stop because one lucky commenter is going to win a gift voucher to the shop.



Putting It Together

I had an idea brewing in my head when I saw the stamp set. I wanted to make a balloon shaker card. I already had balloon dies and I thought they would work great with this fabulous stamp set.


I knew I wanted to have my balloons as the shakers and that I wanted them off the edge of the card. So.. I needed to have a border wall. I die cut 2 frames and centres from fun foam. Since the sides of the sdhaker are visible, I decided to use a fun lime green.


I added the frames to a similarly coloured base.


I also die cut a frame and full front before doing a dry fit of the balloon dies and a sentiment from the kit. I backed the pattern paper with cardstock to give it a bit more weight, too.


I die cut the balloons from shimmer sheets intending to have them in the shaker wells. I dry fit one last time for the colours.


I then die cut my card front and dry fit it over the shaker base to see the overlap areas.


I lined up the front on the green foam and die cut the shapes, but... I didn't get them in exactly the right positions so I had to abandon these. It would have made a much more simple base if I had gotten the cuts perfect *sigh*


Instead, I decided to use the orange void from the frame I cut as the bottom of the shaker base. I lined up the shimmer sheets balloons using the card front with the frame in place around the base.


I then removed the frame so I could trim the edges on the two large balloons.


On the back of the card front, I lined up fussy cut foam using removable adhesive to temporarily adhere the foam to the back of the front.


I lined up the card front on the base to permanently adhere the foam into the base. I ended up changing the small balloon to a square of the shimmer sheet since the balloon still wasn't lining up right.


I added scraps of the foam in the rest of the base so the front would have an even ground except in the shaker depressions.


I die cut a piece of acetate to line up with the base and front. I filled the shaker spots with sequins from the kit and adhered the acetate using double-sided tape.


I stamped the sentiment in Versamark and embossed it with sparkly Tangerine Orange from Emerald Creek (another Canadian company). To give it a bit more dimension and to stand out from the background better, I stamped over it, slightly askew, with Fog for a faint shadow.

I used double-sided tape to adhere the card face to the foamy shaker compartment back. When using double-sided tape, when you take the release sheet off the tape, put strips of release sheet perpendicular to the tape, sticking out of the project. This allows you the ability to reposition before actually adhering the tape to both sides. Then simply pull out the strips for the permanent bond.

After making the shaker chamber, I simply adhered the whole thing to the card base. To me, that's ever so much easier than building it on the base itself.


Inside, I used a couple of the balloons and the cake in coral ink to give a bit of fun detail.



Supplies


Challenges 

Seize the Birthday: Anything Goes
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper: Anything Goes
Penny's Paper-Crafty: Anything Goes
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes
Creative Moments: Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination: Anything Goes

Blog Hop

Join me in the Kraftin' Kimmie blog hop to see all the other wonderful kreations by the design team and guests. Be sure to leave a comment on each stop because one lucky commenter is going to win a gift voucher to the shop.


17 comments:

  1. Awesome job and great tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bright beautiful birthday card! Awesome job!😃

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love shaker cards and yours is no exception. Thank you for sharing how you made it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including the instructions!! Such a great card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute Birthday Shaker card! Love the balloons and bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shaker card looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing the steps on how you made your card too! You are so inspiring! I'm really loving this new set!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I hope the lucky person that gets this knows the time you put into it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FUN shaker. What a happy card....love it ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun shaker card! I love making these, although sometimes they can be frustrating too. But your is wonderful !

    Thanks for joining us at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge! Hope to see you back again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super fun shaker card and thanks for the tutorial!!! -Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy wow! I loved the card when I saw but then you shared what went into it. Just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! Thanks for joining us at Penny’s Paper-Crafty Challenge blog.
    Bye, Groetjes van Ine (DT)
    http://creaine-cards.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super duper card thanks for the step by step

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome shaker card! The the balloon shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the shaker card! Great idea to use the coloured foam! Thanks for joining the Creative Moments Challenge.

    Jennifer
    Creative Moments Design Team
    http://carabbiemomentsofcraft.blogspot.com/2018/03/challenge-138.html
    www.scrapatini.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun balloon shaker card, love it. Thanks for sharing with us at Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely creation! Thank you so much for playing along at Creative Moments Challenges.
    Hugs, Mary (DT member)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.