10 October 2016

Polar Bear Winter


My favourite time of the year is winter. I love snow! This polar bear and his lovely scarf are glitter as is his snowy background. Inside, he has a twin also sporting a lovely teal scarf. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!



Challenges

Crazy Hazlenut's Christmas Challenge: Turquoise/Aqua
Crafty Gals Corner: Die Cuts and Punches
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: Make It Sparkle
The Crafty Addicts: Patterned Paper
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination: Anything Goes
A bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes
Penny's Paper-crafty: Anything Goes
Crazy Hazlenut's Christmas Challenge extra: Anything Goes

Supplies


Putting It Together

I first saw this glitter technique being done by Els of Elizabeth Craft Designs. I've started to collect the many gorgeous colours of the Silk Microfine Glitter.


The technique starts with a sheet of release paper and a sheet of adhesive on card stock. The release sheet is run through with a die to cut the shape. I put removable tape on the back of my die cut sheet to keep all the pieces together so I can use it now and again later.


Remove the release sheet from the card and put the die cut one there. Use the other release sheet to burnish the cut one down. Keep the uncut release sheet for use on another day. Carefully remove the cut piece that will be the darkest colour. In this project, there is an outline I wanted to make black.


Cascade the microfine glitter over the card to cover all of the exposed areas. Microfine glitter adheres the best to give a very fine finish. Tap off loose glitter. If you work over a coffee filter, you can easily pour the unused glitter back into the bottle. If you have your coffee filter in a pan or low box lid lined with Swiffer dry sheets, your clean up will be a snap.


Use a fluffy make-up brush to brush off even more glitter. A dollar store brush works perfectly.


Use your finger to burnish the glitter (and adhere it more to the adhesive). You can use another Swiffer sheet to wipe away any extra.


Lift up the release sheet bits from the next area and repeat. You want to finish with the lightest colour to avoid the darker colours leaving stray specks.


I used a chunkier glitter for the background to have a contrast with the bear and look like snow. The chunkier glitter will work with this technique but may not adhere as fully or provide complete full coverage.

I cut Winter from the aqua sheet of the Iris Shimmer Sheetz. To die cut the mylar you need to use a Precision Base Plate (or the equivalent in a machine other than the Big Shot). I also backed the glittered panel with a thin matting of turquoise foiled cardstock. I dry fit them together to think about what else I might want.


I decided I wanted to carry the snow theme inside and added a patterned paper to the inside. I like to leave plenty of blank space for a personal sentiment.


Since the paper I used inside isn't white, I stamped a little polar bear on to some scrap card stock. I stamped him a turquoise scarf to be like his big brother on the front. I used a round punch to cut him out and adhered him to the inside of the card.


I added a grey snowflake paper from the same pad I used for the inside and assembled the front of the card.


Such sparkle!



6 comments:

  1. Wow this is full of glitter. I like it.
    Thanks for playing with us at Inspiration Destination Good luck!! Michelle(DT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, super cute and love the instructions for adding the glitter! Thanks for joining our challenge this week with Kraftin Kimmie Stamps.
    Marilyn DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous sparkle! Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to seeing you again next challenge.
    Crafty hugs,
    Ema

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning card, loving the sparkle and that polar bear.
    Thanks for joining us over at Penny's for our Anything Goes Challenge. Hope to see you again.
    Good luck.
    Jean Design Team xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for entering your lovely crafting for CHNC challenge 302 – you could also enter this into my CHNC challenge extra for October - I'd love to see it there too x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your polar bear. Thanks for joining us for Crafty Hazel Nuts Christmas Extra Challenge
    Julie T

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.