13 September 2016

Shake It Up - Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Sneak Peek (GDT)

Good morning and welcome to Day TWO of the Christmas Release at Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps!!


Kimmie, the design team, and krafty guests are thrilled to be sharing this super sized release featuring NINE joyful new clear stamp sets and you'll be seeing new designs all week long with the release going live on Saturday night!


As one of the krafty kustomers who bought the Add On for the Surprise Krafting Kimmie Kit for September, I once more am pleased to be a member of the krafty guest design team with a preview for the second set of stamps. Today we are sharing a preview featuring a fabulous new set from artist, Becky Pearce! We are super excited to show you SHAKE IT UP!!


This sweet 4x6 clear stamp set features a fabulous snow globe, of course! Plus adorable animals, accessory stamps, sentiments and more with a total of EIGHTEEN stamps for an endless combination of design possibilities!


For my preview, I decided to forgo the obvious with this stamp set and create a bit of Jolly, fa-la-la-la! The little penguins and reindeer are just so freakin' cute! Scroll down (or click the more) to see how I put it all together.

Be sure to join us at the LIVE Online Release Party on Saturday night at 6pm EST! (3pm Pacific time) We'll be checking out ALL the NINE new clear stamp sets, sharing fabulous creations, giving away prizes and having tons of merry fun!

All the Krafty Girls and Guests listed below have lots of cheerful designs to share with you today featuring the SHAKE IT UP stamp set!

Be sure to hop around and leave lots of love at each and every stop because one lucky commenter will WIN a gift voucher to the krafty shop! The winner will be announced at the shop so don't miss it!





If you just want to leave a comment, click HERE,

or Keep on scrolling to see how I put it all together!

Supplies


Putting It Together

When I saw this stamp set in my box from Kimmie, I absolutely "Squeee'ed!" I was so thrilled to see a set from Becky Pearce and, even better, a snow globe set!


I love love love snow globes! I love love love penguins! And those reindeer are absolutely deer-ling! The sentiments, too, are wonderful! I love Becky Pearce designs!

So... then... I decided not to make a snow globe *laugh* I figured there was a strong possibility everyone else would be making a shaker or snow globe so.. I had to different *laugh*. Shortly before getting the package I had bought a new die at my local store (shout out to Precious Memories in Langley, BC) which is sort of a storybook frame. I got the die out and the the little animals fit perfectly! Oh this was meant to be.


I decided I wanted to make the frame from peppermint candy paper in the "Home for Christmas" pad. I cut it using the die (one thing missing from this die is an outside cut frame) and dry fit the pieces. I decided I wanted to have a die cut snowflake as well, from the die that was in the Krafty Kit :) I later decided on a different sentiment than I fit in here. I like having choices and Becky Pearce's sentiments are tops both in the wording and in the graphics.


I stamped the cuties on to a strip of watercolour paper. I stamped doubles of the reindeer intending to put 3 in the top panel but not sure which one to double up.


My medium of choice for colouring is Distress Ink painted with a waterbrush in techniques I used years ago with gouache. For these cuties, I had to use the smallest of my brushes. I started with Hickory Smoke on the penguins and Antique Linen on the reindeer. I smush ink into my plastic work surface (a divider from a binder) and pick up the ink with the brush like a palette.


I added in Black Soot on the Penguins and Tea Dye on the reindeer. Working in sets like this allows the previous colour to dry before adding the second so I can control the blending. If you paint wet on wet the colours will blend, but sometimes far too much for such small areas.

Years ago I used to paint Medieval style illumination with ground pigments in mediums and gouache paints. When I started painting with Distress Ink, those techniques came back to my hand like riding a bike.

I added Candied Apple red to penguin's toque, like a little Santa hat and Lucky Clover green to the other penguin's scarf.. I also added shading to the reindeer, Vintage Photo on the darker areas and Tea Dye on the light. For the Penguin feet and beaks I used a little Spiced Marmalade. I left the white on the penguins unpainted.


Adding additional Candied Apple on the dry increases the depth and brightness of the colour. For the jumping reindeer, I gave one a red scarf and the other a green.


I added in shading on the red and green with Aged Mahogany and Pine Needles. I also added Weathered Wood for shading on the white of the Santa Penguin's hat. After the light grey dried, I added Picket Fence over it to push the grey out to shading. Picket Fence works differently than all the rest of the Distress Inks. It doesn't show up at first, when put over other Distress Ink, but will "sink in" and become white in a delayed reaction.

As I cut the individual images apart, preparatory to fussy cutting, I had a thought toward making little stamps with them in the future. Wouldn't that be cute?


After I fussy cut each image, I used Black Soot on the cut edges. I declare this a pile of cute.


I dry fit the elements of the card to determine if I needed to change anything or add anything. For the two long paper insets in the storybook frame, I used the cut dies with 2 other papers of the "Home for Christmas" pad. I also decided to use a sheet of holly from the same pad as a layered matte. Between the candies and holly, I chose gold foiled, textured card stock which also shows through the small square under the snowflake.

I changed my original decision for the sentiment and went with the more whimsical "'Tis the Season to be Jolly". I stamped the sentiment on Soft Finish card stock because I like its texture. I used Versamark and embossed the sentiment with Antique Gold.

I had decided for a larger snowflake and die cut it from the same textured silver foil cardstock I used earlier to cut the two small snowflakes.


I glued the card stock layers together flat. I used foam mounting tape to 'pop up' all the elements. Adding foam tape to something like the snowflake can be a bit of a PITA (pain in the....). Cutting slivers of foam tape and putting them in place can be a bit fussy.


I decided to add one more paper before addeing everything to the card base. The red mercury glass adds a finishing touch. I added one of the little snowflakes and the fourth reindeer to the sentiment panel 'cause the reindeer are so cute and you can never have too much snow.


I left the inside of the card blank, but added some strips of the candy paper and the last small snowflake.



Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge: Stamp It
Crafty Cardmakers: Layer It Up
Craft Your Passion: Anything Goes
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes
Crazy for Challenges: 10 Things (Distress Inks used)

Kraftin' Kimmie Blog Hop

Be sure to join us at the LIVE Online Release Party on Saturday night at 6pm EST! We'll be checking out ALL the NINE new clear stamp sets, sharing fabulous creations, giving away prizes and having tons of merry fun!

All the Krafty Girls and Guests listed below have lots of cheerful designs to share with you today featuring the SHAKE IT UP stamp set! Be sure to hop around and leave lots of love at each and every stop because one lucky commenter will WIN a gift voucher to the krafty shop! The winner will be announced at the shop so don't miss it!

14 comments:

  1. Love this new release! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy! Was this intricate. You do fabulous work. You make it look so simple. And I love love love how you share how you do it. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colouring is fantastic! And I love the embossed sentiment! Great job Rijacki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. isn't this just the cutest card? LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! Perfect for the holidays!! Love how you positioned the images! great layout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet stamp set, and so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This new stamp set is too cute and your card adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A cute and fun christmas card.
    Thanks for playing with us at Craft your Passion Good luck!! Michelle(DT)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet!

    Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute card and nice layers too. Thanks for sharing this with us at Crafty Cardmakers and good luck with the challenge, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great card - thanks for joining us at Crafting from the Heart.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Love your card! The images are just too cute and those layers look great! Thank you for joining our „Layer it up!“ challenge over at the Crafty Cardmakers ;o) Happy crafting,
    Maike

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.