16 June 2016

Time Travel


When I'm trying to come up with an idea for a challenge or when I have too little time before bed to work on a new project, I'll often experiments with some of the supplies I have, usually an embossing folder, some paper, and Distress Ink. The item gets set aside to maybe be incorporated later. I like experimenting.

Supplies

Putting It Together

As I said in the intro, this card started with me experimenting. I wanted to see how the gold translucent vellum-like Spellbinders paper worked with an embossing folder, specifically the pocket watches by Tim Holtz.

I used a blender to add Distress Ink to the embossing folder, Vintage Photo and Walnut stain, and huffed on it before sending the paper through. After embossing it, I added more of those two along with touches of Barn Door. Liking what I was seeing, I set it aside because I had to go to bed (morning and the day job comes too early). I did decide, though, that I need to have a softer pressure on the folder when using this paper in the future.


I trimmed the watches to get rid of some of the broken areas. I love the look of gold with red and black so I paired the watches with red (Stampin' Up Ruby Red) and black (Recollections black) cardstock and dry fit it with a 'timely' sentiment (Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Steampunk Sentiments) to get an idea of how they would look together.


Using the edge of the black ink pad, I rubbed the edge of the watch panel.


This gives the panel a finished look with a thin line of black all around. I should have done this with the Distress dye ink which would have dried quicker than the pigment ink and been less messy.


Using the blending tool, I added Barn Door and then a light Vintage Photo to the edges of the Ruby Red cardstock to 'distress' it a little and make it less stark.


Using tape runner, I adhered the black panel to the card base and then the red panel to the black. You can see here the distressing on the red. 


I added the watch panel directly to the red panel. I wanted the red to show through the translucent paper so having it adhered directly allowed more colour to show through. The gold paper is also more rigid but a lot thinner than cardstock so is a bit fragile where the embossing is. Directly adhering it to the red also helps stabilise it. You can see where the pigment ink dragged on to the red, but it almost looks intentional, a little more distressing. 



While adhering the watch panel, I noticed a spot the embossing cracked the paper, a perfect spot for the sentiment to go. I embossed a strip of black cardstock with gold embossing powder and centered it across the watch panel. I debated flagging the ends but I think this actually looks best. 



A simple card starting from an experiment. 

I had debated making the card in blues, but that's for a different day *impish grin*

Challenges

Private Facebook group: Masculine card
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps blog 15 June Wonderful Wednesday: Anything Goes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.